Brunello di Montalcino DOCG
Cantine Guidi 1929 - Tuscany, Italy
Product Code: GUD003R
Serving Temp. 18-20 °C | Storage Temp. 13-15 °C
Brunello (which translates as “the nice dark one”) is Tuscany’s most revered wine and has a reputation of longevity, showing its full potential, complexity and a velvety texture only after significant ageing.
Brunello di Montalcino is also Tuscany’s rarest and most expensive wine, as the vineyards producing it cover a modest area of about 5,000 acres of selected clones of Sangiovese Grosso, compared to the 38,000 acres of all Chianti. Brunello is made around the town of Montalcino (acknowledged as a UNESCO World Heritage site), a walled medieval village clinging onto a rocky hilltop, about one hour’s drive south of Chianti Classico. This southern part of Tuscany is warmer, historically creating more full-bodied and powerful wines than Chianti, and despite both being made from Sangiovese, the grapes grown on the hilltops around Montalcino seem to possess all the aroma nuances and flavour needed for a layered, complex and lavish wine, without the help of any other grape variety.
The Brunello vineyards of the Guidi family are located at 300+ metres above sea level, in the south-east area of Montalcino, where they are blanketed by a luminous swatch of sunshine, and where the best Brunello is produced. Cantine Guidi1929, as the name suggests, has a tradition of almost 100 years, and as per these traditions, old large Slavonian oak barrels are still used in the Brunello wine making process, allowing the wine to age and evolve without imparting too much “oaky” character. The combination of unctuous textures, deep, savoury aromas and flavours is needless to say, captivating!
Purchase Price £48.00 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% Sangiovese
- Vintage: 2013
- Soil: sandy and clay layers
- Colour: intense and deep ruby red
- Nose: complex and elegant, ripe fruits with aromas of liquorice, blackberry, black cherry, violet, chocolate and scents of Mediterranean scrubs and leather
- Taste: full- bodied, ripe cherry and walnut with fresh herb undertones and spice. Extremely fine tannin and a silky, textured finish. Very classic and balanced
- Vinification/Maturing: grapes are manually harvested. After a soft pressing, vinification happens in steel tank at controlled temperature of 28 °C. By law and as per tradition, Brunello is aged for a period of 30 months in Slavonian oak casks before being bottled, with a further ageing of 6-8 months in bottle prior to its release on the market
- Ageing Potential: its structure will allow this wine to be kept for up to 20+ years, stored lying down horizontally in a cellar, further enhancing the great character
- Food Match: being Brunello di Montalcino a true sipping wine (or meditation, “da meditazione” in Italian) it is best enjoyed on its own. Alternatively it is a great match for rich dishes including red meats, cured or slow cooked, and mature cheeses
- Recommended Glass: balloon glass with decanting
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.