Chiaretto DOC (Organic)
La Pergola - Lombardy, Italy
Product Code: LPG001P
Serving Temp. 8-10 °C | Storage Temp. 4-7 °C
Valtènesi Chiaretto is the wine par excellence of Moniga del Garda (on the southern coast of the Lake Garda, Lombardy), and together with Lugana is one of the most representative wines of this area. The name, Chiaretto, literately “little light one”, refers to its pleasing colour and lighter body, compared to its neighbours serious reds, such as Valpolicella and Amarone. The mild climate of Lake Garda, protected by the Alps from the cold northern Europe winds, contributes to the style of this Chiaretto SELENE. Its uniqueness comes from the indigenous vine Groppello that it is made from: rare grapes growing only in 400 hectares in this area of Lake Garda and nowhere else in the world.
Valentine’s day often reminds us of the close link between the origin of Chiaretto and an old love story between a noblewoman from Lake Garda, Amalia Brunati, and a Venetian senator, Pompeo Molmenti, who married in 1885. In the Brunati family’s land, in Moniga del Garda, the senator began to develop and improve the production method of Chiaretto, well known since the ‘500. But it wasn’t until 1968 that Chiaretto was awarded the DOC denomination, in recognition of the wine’s quality and tradition. The secret of Valtenesi Chiaretto is in the must, that remains in contact with the skins of the red grape only for a few hours. During the nocturnal ritual of racking (special technique called “Levata di cappello”), the winemaker must exercise his skills in capturing the freshness and the essence of a territory.
The new vintage is released each on Valentine’s day, on the 14th February. The result is a savoury, fragrant and fresh rosé, with fruity notes but capable of acquiring harmonic, elegant and balanced features during the ageing process. Even though this is a wine of great traditions, it is able to match all consumer tastes, pairing very well with a wide range of food, from starters to main courses (risotto in particular), from freshwater fish to white meat dishes. Chiaretto Organic “SELENE” from La Pergola is ideal at any time for any meal!
Purchase Price £15.90 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 60% Groppello, 20% Marzemino, 10% Barbera and 10% Sangiovese
- Vintage: 2019
- Soil: morainic soil (mainly clay and sand)
- Colour: rose petal with ruby nuances
- Nose: flowery, delicate and refined, with a pleasant fragrance of wild strawberry
- Taste: elegant, balanced, persistent. The intense notes of strawberry are sustained by a subtle and refined mineral taste, given by the morainic soil, while its acidity project the wine towards a clean and charming finish.
- Vinification/Maturing: after manual harvest in small boxes from the heart of selected vineyards, the grapes are soft pressed. The skin is separated a few hours after the beginning of the fermentation and musts are fermented at controlled temperature, without any extra added yeasts, in stainless steel tanks for minimum 6 months, followed by 2 months in bottle (Certified Organic)
- Ageing Potential: up to 1-2 years
- Food Match: served cold, it is extremely pleasant as a summer aperitif, excellent with freshwater fish and lobster, white meat and dishes with tomato and mozzarella (like Caprese salad or pizza). Good match to mild curry dishes
- Recommended Glass: tulip-shaped glass
Vintage 2016, 2018: 5 Star wine – Bio, International Italy Wine fair 2017, 2019
Vintage 2016: Gold medal – Mondial du Rose’, Cannes 2017
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.