Montepulciano D’Abruzzo DOC
La Quercia - Abruzzo, Italy
Product Code: LQC001R
Serving Temp. 18-20 °C | Storage Temp. 13-15 °C
The Montepulciano vine originates from the Peligna Valley in central Abruzzo, southern Italy, as confirmed by the historian Michele Troia back in the 18th century, much earlier than when the Tuscan origins of the grape were claimed. In this area the vine has easily adapted to the environmental variations and spread to its neighbouring territories and in most of the Abruzzo region
The dispute over the paternity of the name Montepulciano has been going on for more than two centuries, between the Abruzzesi and the winemakers of the town of Montepulciano, in Tuscany. It was later confirmed that the primitive Montepulciano from Tuscany was a clone of the Sangiovese Grosso, while the grape of the Abruzzi was a late harvest one, creating more structured wines. So the Montepulciano D’Abruzzo has no connection with the Nobile di Montepulciano wine (named after the town of Montepulciano where it is made), but simply takes its name from the grape variety it is produced with.
The grapes are hand picked at the beginning of October, destemmed, crushed and left in contact with the skin for 10 days to start the the fermentation process. After racking, the wine is left to age briefly before being bottled and put on the market. The result is an exuberantly fruity, soft and round young Montepulciano, pure in flavour with plenty of excitement.
The name PE.LA.DI. was created using the first syllable of the last names of the three founders. The idea behind it comes from the desire to create something unique and representative of the key characteristics of La Quercia: passion, simplicity and quality.
There are few “introductory” Montepulciano d’Abruzzo that are so well created, and this is certainly one of them. Le Peladi is the “simplest” Montepulciano of La Quercia range, but also the most exuberant and smooth, a “wine with dialect” as the culinary writer Onno Kleyn once described it. Delicious wine for its price!
Purchase Price £12.50 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% Montepulciano
- Vintage: 2018
- Soil: medium mixture tending to clayey at altitude of 210 mt. above sea level, benefits from significant sun exposure and ventilated by dry breezes from the Adriatic
- Colour: deep red color with purple hues
- Nose: typical fragrance of a young Montepulciano with hints of ripe cherry and plum
- Taste: fruity and earthy at first with ripe cherries and plums, spicy with good mineral acidity after. Neatly balanced with body
- Vinification/Maturing: grapes are manually harvested in early October, destemmed, crushed and placed in contact with the skin for ten days to start the fermentation in a temperature controlled environment. A quick ageing is performed before being bottled and sold
- Ageing Potential: up to 3 years, stored lying down horizontally in a cellar
- Food Match: great with veal and roast pork. Perfect for an informal dinner with friends.
- Recommended Glass: wide-bowled tulips
- Gambero Rosso guide “Vini d’Italia” (Italian wines): TWO glasses (2009-2010)
- Veronelli guide: 85/100 points (2008)
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.