Montepulciano D’Abruzzo DOC
La Quercia - Abruzzo, Italy
Product Code: LQC004R
Serving Temp. 18-20 °C | Storage Temp. 13-15 °C
The Montepulciano vine originates from the Peligna Valley in central Abruzzo, southern Italy, where it has easily adapted to the environmental variations spreading to its neighbouring territories and in most of the Abruzzo region. The Carthaginian leader Hannibal had great appreciation for the wine produced in the Aprutzi (Abruzzo), he used it in fact to reinvigorate men and horses, while he kept the Romans at bay for many years,
The dispute over the paternity of the name Montepulciano has been going on for more than two centuries between the Abruzzesi and the winemakers of the town of Montepulciano, in Tuscany. The confusion was due to the similarity in some of the vines characteristics, and their ability to produce similar wines. It was later confirmed that the primitive Montepulciano from Tuscany was a clone of the Sangiovese Grosso, while the grape of the Abruzzi was a late harvest one, creating more structured wines. Montepulciano D’Abruzzo has no connection with the Nobile di Montepulciano wine (made from Sangiovese grape and named after the town of Montepulciano where it is made), but simply named like the grape variety it is produced with.
The grapes are hand picked in late October, destemmed, crushed and placed in vitrified cement vats, where the fermentation start. At the end of the fermentation, the maceration continues for another ten days and for a maximum of twenty. After racking, the ageing in steel begins and will end with at least four to six months in the bottle. The result is harmonious, and the Montepulciano La Quercia is a solid, straightforward red that opens with aromas of sour cherry and a whiff of new leather. The ripe fruity palate exhibits juicy blackberry, raspberry and a hint of anise, with soft tannins, violet hues and a sapid, full-bodied taste, best enjoyed after 4 or more years of ageing.
Purchase Price £14.90 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% Montepulciano
- Vintage: 2016
- Soil: medium mixture tending to clayey at altitude of 210 mt. above sea level, benefits from significant sun exposure and ventilated by dry breezes from the Adriatic
- Colour: intense violet hues
- Nose: intense bouquet, pleasant nose of black fruit, sour cherry, new leather and spice
- Taste: dry taste, ripe blackberry and raspberry fruits with medium tannin and acidity pleasantly balanced
- Vinification/Maturing: grapes are manually harvested late October, destemmed, crushed and placed in vitrified cement vats, where the fermentation start. Vinification continues with a 10 to 20 days maceration before the ageing in steel tanks begins, to end with at least four to six months in the bottle
- Ageing Potential: 3 to 4 years, stored lying down horizontally in a cellar
- Food Match: perfect with first courses of white ragù and mushrooms, Parmigiana di melanzane, and lasagne, roasts and pork chops. In particular we recommend combining it with the traditional chitarra pasta with meatballs from the Teramo hills or Arrosticini (sheep meat skewers).
- Recommended Glass: balloon glass
- Gambero Rosso guide “Vini d’Italia” (Italian wines): THREE glasses finalist (2010) – TWO glasses (2007-2008-2009)
- Veronelli guide: TWO stars (2007-2008-2009-2010)
- National wine concourse “Pramaggiore”: GOLD medal (2008 – 2011)
- AIS guide “duemilavini” (Italian Sommelier Association): THREE grapes (2011)
- Vinitaly: Great Wines (2001-2006)
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.