Moscato d’Asti DOCG
Francesco Scanavino - Piemonte, Italy
Product Code: FSC005W, FSC007W
Serving Temp. 6-8 °C | Storage Temp. 15-18 °C
Moscato, whose name origin still remains unconfirmed, seems to derive from the word “musk”, due to its typical earthy and musky aroma. Moscato Bianco is a Piedmont signature white grape, responsible for the distinctly superior, lightly fizzy, Moscato d’Asti: the epitome of sweet Moscato grape in its most celebratory form and not to be confused with the slightly inferior Asti Spumante. The Moscato Bianco is considered one of the oldest grapes grown in the lands between Alessandria, Asti and Cuneo and finds records dating back to the fourteenth century. The ideal climatic and environmental conditions of these lands allowed the grape to prosper. Moscato d’Asti, generally made in tiny batches and in limited quantities, was a wine that winemakers made for themselves and thanks to the low-alcohol content, it was drunk at noontime meals without slow down the winemaker or his workers. At the end of the workday, the Piemontese tradition of long, multi-course evening meals, gave Moscato d’Asti the purpose of a digestif , that cleansed the palate and stimulated it for dessert.
The Moscato d’Asti from Scanavino’s family is made from selected grapes grown on sun-blessed hills surrounding the small town of Canelli, and was mentioned in some historical documents as Muscatellum vinum, Labelled with the highest quality certification (DOCG), it is delicate and gorgeously fruity, particularly low in alcohol (by law not more than 5.5% abv), which made it highly desirable amongst Italian wine connoisseurs. Moscato d’Asti should be served well chilled, generally in regular wineglasses rather than flutes and drunk while still young, soon after release, although it keeps well for a few years. This is the perfect party wine, an ideal match for almost every dessert and it can amaze and delight guests after a rich dinner.
Purchase Price £12.90 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% White Moscato
- Vintage: See Purchase Options
- Soil: calcareous
- Colour: intense, clear straw-yellow
- Nose: very rich, with aromas of musk, orange blossom and honey that are typical of the muscat grape
- Taste: lively, with appealing fresh sweetness, good acidity and a very long aromatic finish
- Vinification/Maturing: the wine ferments and matures in steel barrels
- Ageing Potential: at its best when young, but will also keep well for 3/4 years
- Food Match: this is an excellent dessert wine pairing perfectly with almost all desserts, cakes and pastries. As wine pairing though is all about balance, we also recommend it with strong cheeses, like gorgonzola or a vintage stilton, or even spicy food, particularly Indian. Served cold to enhance its acidity and reduce the sweetness, it will deliver the perfect match. Avoid with foods that finish on a bitter or alcoholic note, like tiramisu’ or chocolate-based desserts.
- Recommended Glass: goblet glass
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.