Pecorino Colli Aprutini IGT
La Quercia - Abruzzo, Italy
Product Code: LQC002W
Serving Temp. 8-10 °C | Storage Temp. 15-18 °C
Pecorino is a native variety of central Italy and in particular of the Marche, Umbria and upper Abruzzo regions. It is a variety that prefers fairly high hill sites and ripens early, around the first ten days of September. The reason for the name of this grape, the same of the more famous cheese, is uncertain but probably due to the seasonal movements of the shepherds who, on returning from the mountains in September, brought their flocks to graze right on the vineyards where the fruit had already been harvested. The low production yields of this variety made winegrowers abandon their cultivation in favour of more profitable ones.
The manually harvested and selected grapes of our Pecorino,are kept in cryomaceration, de-stemmed and then pressed. The “mosto fiore” (free-run must) is placed in a steel tank with a double refrigeration pocket for cold cleaning. After clarification process, the must is fermented at a controlled temperature (14 °C – 16 °C) and then left to rest and age on the lees for about two/four months, after which it is cold stabilised, filtered and bottled.
Pecorino Santapupa is fresh, with excellent structure and pleasant softness, and thanks to its good alcohol content and acidity it lends itself very well to ageing. The refinement in bottle enhances the typical almond flavor and confer to this wine its fruity finish.
Like all other wines from La Quercia, also the name of this Pecorino has an historical connotation. Santapupa was in fact chosen in reference to the ancient tradition of village festivals, where it was customary to end the festivities with the “pupa” dance, where a papier-mache female character (the pupa) was at the centre of the show, and lit with small fireworks at the end of the dance in celebration.
Purchase Price £15.90 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% Pecorino
- Vintage: 2019
- Soil: medium mixture tending to clayey at altitude of 210 mt. above sea level, benefits from significant sun exposure and ventilated by dry breezes from the Adriatic
- Colour: straw-yellow tending to golden
- Nose: very original, intense and unusual aromas, Starts with hints of plum, apple and hawthorn followed by aromas of pear, pineapple, peach and citrus fruits
- Taste: crisp and balanced, good body, fruity and intense. Persistent finish with flavors of apple, plum and pear.
- Vinification/Maturing: grapes are manually harvested and selected in early September, kept in cryomaceration, de-stemmed and then pressed. After clarification, the must is fermented at a controlled temperature (14 °C – 16 °C) and then left to rest on the lees for about two months. The wine is then cold stabilised, filtered and bottled for further ageing up to four months.
- Ageing Potential: 3 to 5 years, stored lying down horizontally in a cellar
- Food Match: meat and fish appetisers, risotto and aged cheeses. Traditional local pairing recommended with red pepper omelette
- Recommended Glass: wide-bowled tulip
- Veronelli guide: TWO stars (2009-2010-2011)
- TCI guide “vini buoni d’Italia” (good italian wines): TWO stars (2009-2011)
- National wine concourse “Pramaggiore”: GOLD medal (2008)
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.