Cantine Guidi 1929 - Tuscany, Italy
Product Code: GUD001R
Serving Temp. 18-20 °C | Storage Temp. 13-15 °C
Like many Italian wine regions, Tuscany was once home to dozens of grape varieties, but in modern times, the region has been identified almost exclusively for two grapes: Sangiovese, for centuries Tuscany’s single greatest grape, and Cabernet Sauvignon, key ingredient of many famous Super Tuscan wines.
Sangiovese is thought to derive from the Latin sanguis Jovis (the blood of Jupiter) and traditionally, Chianti, was made from a blend of red grapes (Sangiovese, Canaliolo and Colorino) and white grapes (Malvasia and/or Trebbiano). The formula seems to have be formalised in the mid-1800s by Ricasoli’s family (second oldest wine-making family in the world) who has produced Tuscan wines since the twelfth century. In 1937, the Italian government used the formula of a Sangiovese-based blend with up to 30 percent malvasia and trebbiano, as the legal foundation for the Chianti DOC and after numerous changes in the regulations that Chianti was given the highest quality designation of DOCG.
White grapes a no longer a mandatory part of the Chianti formula nowadays. In fact Guidi’s family historic formula for their Chianti DOCG accounts for more than 75% Sangiovese and a small percentage of Canaiolo and Colorino (this last contributes to its structure and deep colour). The vineyard of Cantine Guidi are located in the heart of Chianti, from Chianti Classico to the Colli Senesi (Siena hills). Wines coming from this area are of the finest quality, with some of those (like Guidi’s Chianti Riserva) being simply exceptional!
Purchase Price £11.90 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 90% Sangiovese and 10% Canaiolo and Colorino
- Vintage: 2018
- Soil: medium thickness sandy and clay layers, interspersed with schist and galestro (stony marl) and located at 350mt altitude near San Gimignano
- Colour: intense and deep ruby red
- Nose: complex and intense, ripe fruits and floral aromas, dried leaves and bark
- Taste: full- bodied, soft and fruity, savoury and harmonious
- Vinification/Maturing: the grapes are manually harvested. After a soft pressing, vinification happens in steel tank at controlled temperature of 28 °C with fermentation and maceration on the skins for 12 days. It ages for 3 months in steel tank and further 3/6 months in bottle, prior to its release on the market
- Ageing Potential: its structure will allow this wine to be kept up to 10 years, suitable for drinking from 2019.
- Food Match: Chianti is recommended in combination with beef, poultry, veal and spiced lamb … and why not with a Pizza (light enough not to overwhelm the simple flavors of a Margherita)
- Recommended Glass: balloon glass
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas