Gelsaia Piave Malanotte DOCG
Cecchetto Giorgio - Veneto, Italy
Product Code: CEC001R
Serving Temp. 18-20 °C | Storage Temp. 13-15 °C
Raboso Piave is a grape variety cultivated for over 500 years, becoming the leading indigenous species and the favourite wine of the Venetian Republic, known as ”the black wine for Venice”. The name Raboso is thought to be derived from the Italian word rabbioso, which means angry; this could be a reference to the aggressive tannins and acid structure of wines made from this variety. However it’s more plausible the grape takes its name from the Raboso river (Piave) which flows through Veneto’s eastern Treviso province. Due to its strong character and superb resistance to aging as well as transport, it was known among travellers as “wine of travel” or in their native language “vin de viajo”. “Raboso Piave is a sort of throughbred, hard to tame”, this is how Giorgio Cecchetto defines this grape variety, a grape that reveals its character already in the vineyard, with a very long growing season. it is the first variety to germinate, and one of the last to be harvested. That makes it unique, almost extraordinary among all Piave’s grape varieties, its strong and hard nature might be the reason why it was disregarded for some time and a winemaker must be patient and ready to accept the challenge if he wants to create something special.
This is exactly what Giorgio Cecchetto achieved with the Gelsaia Piave Malanotte, the first red wine to receive the DOCG denomination in the Treviso area. Since its first release in 1997 the Gelsaia has only been produced in the best years, with the 2016 vintage representing the 11th ever produced and will certainly be remembered as one of the best thanks to the optimal grapes harvest conditions. Vinified in oak barrels, with 15% of the grapes dried/raisin for 35 days in wooden crates (regulations impose a minimum of 15% and a maximum of 30%), Gelsaia Piave Malanotte DOCG is a wine with unique body, structure and personality, with acquired roundness and elegance. It has interesting set of fruit aromas and a complete bouquet, opening more and more every time it is brought close to the nose.
A curiosity: its name derives from mulberry (Gelso), that at the beginning of the last century in the Treviso area was used to train or support the vine. This form of cultivation was called Bellussera (from the Bellussi family).
Purchase Price £38.50 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% Raboso
- Vintage: 2016
- Soil: loose and well drained alluvial soil, derived from centuries of gravel debris sedimentation left by floods of the river Piave
- Colour: intense, dense ruby red with with substantial garnet highlights
- Nose: layered fragrances are released gradually: mellow sensations of cherry jam, plums, earthy aromas, dark chocolate and rhubarb
- Taste: decidedly fresh and denotes considerable vigour and tannin, with long fruity persistence
- Vinification/Maturing: grapes are harvested when slightly overripe. After a soft pressing, vinification happens by a 12-days maceration in oak barrels. 15% of the grapes are dried for 35 days (regulations impose a minimum of 15% and a maximum of 30%) and then assembled with the remaining wine from the maceration. The wine is matured in new and used wood barrels for 12 months. It follows a bottle ageing for further 10 months
- Ageing Potential: its structure will allow this wine to be kept for 10 years or more, stored lying down horizontally in a cellar to further enhance the great character
- Food Match: Raboso in Gelsaia (Riserva) is great on its own and a perfect match for game meat dishes or well matured cheeses, thanks to its amazing long fruity persistence.
- Recommended Glass: balloon glass
In the last 10 years, Raboso del Piave has been awarded several times with the highest acknowledgement during Vinitaly, Italy’s most prestigious and largest wine fair.
- TCI guide 2020 “vini buoni d’Italia” (good italian wines): Guide CROWN (2016) the highest recognition attributed to wines of excellence, and Audience CROWN assigned by the parallel commissions of winelovers, journalists, producers and wine operators
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.