Raboso Passito IGT
Cecchetto Giorgio - Veneto, Italy
Product Code: CEC002R
Serving Temp. 18-20 °C | Storage Temp. 13-15 °C
Raboso was one of the most popular grape varieties in the past and it was abundantly grown in Eastern Veneto before the Roman Empire. Due to its strong character and superb resistance to aging as well as transport, it was known among travellers as “wine of travel” or in their native language “vin de viajo”. “Raboso Piave is a sort of throughbred, hard to tame” this is how Giorgio Cecchetto defines this grape variety. Raboso grape reveals its character in multiple shapes (Raboso and Gelsaia red wine, Rosa Bruna Sparkling Metodo Classic) but the Passito version is the result of a passionate research for the full potential of this grape variety, in part still unexpressed.
To emphasise the drying technique (known as “raisining”) and enhance the characteristics of each vintage, Giorgio assembles in decreasing percentages (Solera method) different vintages rested for at least four years in the cellar. The best rasining method for the grapes uses drying racks as opposed to wooden crates, allowing greater aeration. The grapes are placed on the racks directly in the vineyard, transferred to the fruit shed and left to dry for up to six months to obtain the characteristic Passito wine. This is what makes the Raboso Passito unique, almost extraordinary amongst all Piave grape varieties.
Purchase Price £22.90 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% Raboso
- Vintage: four different vintages in a decreasing order of percentage
- Soil: loose and well drained alluvial soil, derived from centuries of gravel debris sedimentation left by floods of the river Piave
- Colour: deep ruby red with garnet reflections
- Nose: aroma that reminds scents of morello cherry preserved in spirit, dark chocolate, dried fruit such as dates, figs and sultana
- Taste: sumptuous flavour, rich and warming, sapid with powerful tannin well contrasted by the alcohol content with a long pleasant aftertaste. A wonderful dessert wine to be smelled and felt before drinking it.
- Vinification/Maturing: the best bunches from four vintages, slightly overripe, are carefully selected, picked and stored on drying racks until April, allowing to raisin for over six months. Then maceration takes place in stainless steel containers for 20 days, followed by fermentation in barriques. The different vintages are aged separately in barriques and tonneaux, then blended.
- Ageing Potential: its deep structure will allow this wine to be kept for up to 10 years, stored lying down horizontally in a cellar, enhancing further the great character
- Food Match: Passito Raboso is ideal to be sipped on its own and one of the few dessert wine that perfectly matches with dark chocolate (75% cocoa content minimum recommended). Can be also accompanied to pastry tarts and chocolate desserts.
- Recommended Glass: port wine glass
In the last 10 years, Raboso del Piave has been awarded several times with the highest acknowledgement during Vinitaly, Italy’s most prestigious and largest wine fair.
- XVIII International “Wine City” challange 2019: Gran Medaglia d’Oro (GOLD medal), the only wine in the Treviso province
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas