Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo DOC Superiore
La Quercia - Abruzzo, Italy
Product Code: LQC001P
Serving Temp. 8-10 °C | Storage Temp. 15-18 °C
Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo is a Denomination and Appellation of quality, not just a rosè version of other wines or appellations. The Cerasuolo d’ Abruzzo, made from 100% Montepulciano grape, is a far more interesting wine produced by keeping the must in limited contact with the grape skins (typically rosé wines have no additional skin contact after crushing). Just a few hours of contact give this wine a darker colour than the blush pink most rose’ drinkers would expect. But do not judge a rosé (or any other wine) only by its colour. The quality appellation was created in October 2010, and covers the cherry-red, brightly flavoured wine formerly labelled as Montepulciano d’Abruzzo Cerasuolo. It is a native variety of central Italy and in particular of the Abruzzo region. Both sea and the mountains are just a few miles from La Quercia winery, and the air from the sea warms up the vineyards on high altitudes, leading to higher alcohol content in the wine. However, when you taste this Cerasuolo Superiore (equivalent to a Riserva), the alcohol content is not overpowering at all.
Cerasuolo Superiore “Prima Madre” is fresh, dry, with light tannins on the palate and expresses the fruit and herbs of the landscape, combining the freshness of a rosé wine with the robustness of the Montepulciano grapes. In essence, Cerasuolo is a delicious summer wine.
Like all other wines from La Quercia, also the name of this Cerasuolo has an historical connotation. Since ancient times the Oak Tree (La Quercia) or Ancient Mother (“Prima Madre“) was considered a sacred and oracular tree. Its cult dates back to the prehistory of Roman, Greek and Celtic civilisations. It was the tree preferred by the Gods and Men, so much that preserving a chip of this wood was believed to protect from misfortunes. This ancient belief reached, slightly modified, our recent history, when in Abruzzo oak leaves stricken by lightning were collected and given to the soldiers leaving to go to war. This “talisman” was believed to protect them from bullets, because lightning only strike once in the same place.
Purchase Price £14.00 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% Montepulciano d’Abruzzo
- Vintage: 2019
- Soil: medium mixture tending to clayey at altitude of 210 mt. above sea level, benefits from significant sun exposure and ventilated by dry breezes from the Adriatic
- Colour: Cerasuolo from Latin means “cerasum”, cheery-red that describes the deeply (almost garnet) colourful rose’ wine from Montepulciano grape
- Nose: hints of strawberry, dried cherry and exotic spices such as orange peel and cinnamon
- Taste: crisp and balanced, good body, fruity and intense. Persistent finish with flavors of pomegranates, strawberries, and, of course, cherries with lime juice and liquorice
- Vinification/Maturing: grapes are manually harvested and carefully selected from specific vines in the last ten days of September, pressed and after 8-12 hours of maceration the must is separated from the skins. This technique allows to achieve the typical cherry colour. The must is then fermented at a controlled temperature (14 °C – 16 °C) and then left to rest on the lees for about four months. The wine is then stabilised, filtered and bottled for further ageing up to four months.
- Ageing Potential: better drunk young but can easily age further 3 to 5 years, stored lying down horizontally in a cellar
- Food Match: thanks to its character it can match any kind of food, meat-based starters, lamb or pork, pasta or even fish, risotto and aged cheeses. Traditional local pairing recommended with vegetables or legume soup
- Recommended Glass: wide-bowled tulip
- Veronelli guide: ONE star (2009-2010-2011)
- TCI guide “vini buoni d’Italia” (good italian wines): THREE stars (2010-2011)
- Gambero Rosso’s guide “Vini d’Italia”: 2/3 glasses (2009 and 2010)
- Mentioned in Slow Food’s guide “Slow Wine”
- AIS’ guide “Duemilavini”: TWO clusters (2011)
- Honourable Mention at Vinitaly (2011)
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above the threshold for the specific area (see Shipping and Delivery policy for more details)