Moscato di Volpara IGT
Calatroni Emilio - Lombardy, Italy
Product Code: CTR001W
Serving Temp. 6-8 °C | Storage Temp. 15-18 °C
In the south-west corner of Lombardy, on the border with Emilia-Romagna and less than 30 minutes drive south of Milan, we are in Oltrepò Pavese, also known as “land of castles”, thanks to the 38 medieval fortresses that still stand imposingly across the landscape. This is where the majority of wines from Lombardy is made. This large hilly area is set in the province of Pavia south of the river Po, northern Italy’s most important river, hence the name Oltrepò Pavese (literally “on the other side of the Po”).
In this area of great wine traditions and culture we find the uniqueness of Moscato di Volpara, less popular compared to its cousin from Piedmont, the Moscato d’Asti, but equally aromatic and pleasant to drink, with unmistakable scents that will transport your senses to the high hills vineyards of Oltrepò. The municipal area of Volpara covers a very tiny piece of land (only 8,000 acres) and the Moscato, which is the flagship product of Calatroni’s cellar, can only be produced in this area. The combination of the best vines, low production yield, manual harvest made right in the middle of the grapes ripening, the careful management of its fermentation, and the periodic controls with analytical and organoleptic tests, give birth to this golden jewel.
To safeguard and preserve the quality of the product a specific consortium of winemakers was founded more than 20 years ago, to strictly ensure the correct production method and rules are followed, giving the Moscato di Volpara its deserved popularity.
In the glass, it has a straw yellow color of beautiful brilliance, with great finesse of bubbles and a discreet persistence. The aroma is its strongest, immediately intense and intriguing. The first powerful fruity hints to reach the nose are those of peach and apricot, enriched by notes reminiscing sage and aromatic herbs, to conclude after oxygenation with a suggestive fragrance of sweet spices.
Purchase Price £9.50 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% White Moscato
- Vintage: 2018
- Soil: marl with high lime proportion
- Colour: intense, clear straw-yellow
- Nose: very rich, with aromas of musk and honey that are typical of the muscat grape
- Taste: sweet wine, intense, penetrating and fruity aromas that capture your nose and palate. The delicate moussy texture and the perfect balance between sweetness and acidity make this sparkling wine easy to drink. Persistent finish with fruity and aromatic flavours, appealing freshness and sweetness
- Vinification/Maturing: after a gentle pressing, fermentation starts in a pressurised tank where the creamy mousse texture develops at controlled pressure and temperature of 18 °C. Then the fermentation is interrupted by a suddenly decreasing the temperature of the must, so that expected unfermented sugar remains in the wine while maturing in steel barrels
- Ageing Potential: at its best when young, but will also keep well for 3/4 years
- Food Match: this is an excellent dessert wine pairing perfectly with almost all desserts, cakes and pastries. As wine pairing though is all about balance, we also recommend it with strong cheeses, like Gorgonzola or a vintage Stilton, or even spicy food, particularly Indian. Served cold to enhance its acidity and reduce the sweetness, it will deliver the perfect match. Avoid with foods that finish on a bitter or alcoholic note, like tiramisu’ or chocolate-based desserts.
- Recommended Glass: goblet glass
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas