Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG
Cantine Guidi 1929 - Tuscany, Italy
Product Code: GUD001W
Serving Temp. 8-10 °C | Storage Temp. 4-7 °C
The name Vernaccia is highly likely to have originated from Vernazza, one of the Five Lands of Italy and place where the Ligurian production was boarded, and the Vernaccia was the most sought after and precious wine.
Few Italian wines can claim a history that dates back centuries like the Vernaccia di San Gimignano. It was in fact at the end of the 13th century that it appeared throughout Europe on the dining tables of kings, popes and wealthy merchants, a white wine of regal colour. A century later history shows a growing number of admirers: from Dante to Boccaccio, from the French Eustache Deschamps to the English poet Geoffrey Chaucer. The latter prescribed the Vernaccia to old Januarie to help him face the night with the young bride – “He drinkkith ypocras, clarre, and vernage / of spices hote, to encrese his corrage“. In the 16th century its production increased at the point where all the most important families of San Gimignano and many from Florence, who had farmlands in the area, planted vineyards of Vernaccia.
The 1960s marked the rebirth of this wine, once the old vine was recovered and replanted in the vineyards according to the criteria of specialised viticulture. In 1966 Vernaccia was the first Italian wine to obtain the DOC quality appellation (Controlled Denomination of Origin), In 1972 the creation of the Consortium of the San Gimignano Denomination, gave new impetus to the production that grew progressively in quantity and quality obtaining in 1993 the DOCG appellation (Controlled and Guaranteed Denomination of Origin), the highest quality recognition of the Italian legislation currently in force.
Right in 1993, thanks to their history and experience as wine makers, the Guidi family started to focus on the high quality of this antique wine and to ensure a healthy nature of the product. Vernaccia di San Gimignano Collezione from Cantine Guidi is the expression of the “new tradition” for this wine, keeping the “antique” awareness of the Vernaccia with a wonderful new note of personality.
Purchase Price £14.90 (incl. VAT and Import Tax)
Purchase Option: Mix&Match
- Grapes: 100% Vernaccia di San Gimignano
- Vintage: 2018
- Soil: vineyards with an average age of 25 years, are all located at an altitude of 300-350mt within the municipality of San Gimignano, as production regulations impose
- Colour: pale straw yellow with golden highlights that are emphasised with age
- Nose: fine and delicate, with fruity and floral scents when young. As it matures and ages, it develops the characteristic mineral scent of flint
- Taste: dry, fresh and wonderfully harmonious, great balance between minerals and acidity content. Savoury wine with almond tasting notes
- Vinification/Maturing: grapes are manually harvested. After a soft pressing, vinification takes place in steel tank at controlled temperature of 16 °C. It ages for 3 months in small vitrified cement vats and further 3 months in the bottle prior to its release on the market
- Ageing Potential: one of the few white wines suitable for ageing, its structure will allow it to be kept for up to 10 years, suitable for drinking from 2019
- Food Match: perfect not only as an aperitif, but extraordinary with baked, fried or grilled fish dishes (shellfish above all), as well as with raw fish. Excellent also in combination with all white meats, not to mention, with carbonara pasta or pappardelle with porcini mushrooms. Other excellent pairings are those with eggs, omelettes and appetisers. Exquisite with fresh and medium-mature cheeses, enhancing their savoury flavour
- Recommended Glass: wide-bowled tulip glass
Vernaccia di San Gimignano has received several National and International awards, including:
– 2015 “Two Glasses” from Gambero Rosso megazine
– 88/100 by Gilbert Gaillard
– 90/100 by Wine Enthusiast
- Minimum order quantity is 3 bottles from any wine
- Total order quantity must be a multiple of 3 bottles from any wine
- Case Only products can be purchased in cases of 6 bottles (and its multiples) only
- Mix&Match products can be purchased individually and mixed to match the total order quantity
- All Purchase prices shown are inclusive of VAT and Import Duties. Shipping charges are excluded and calculated at the Checkout
- Discounts for individual products are shown as separate promo price. Discounts for orders are shown in the Barrel and applied at the Checkout
- FREE gifts and gadgets are shown in the Barrel view and can be added or removed from the order
- FREE Shipping is available for all orders above £99 for mainland UK, and above £350 for all other areas